Friday, January 25, 2008

Night Scene - Step 5


Step 5

Ah, the sky. I figured that the only way to really have a deep, dark sky was to build up alot of layers. This first one is an attempt to establish the overall warm glow created by all of the city lights. I basically mixed up Burnt Siena and Alizarin Crimson with just a bit of Ultramarine Blue.

If you take a closer look at the photo, you'll notice that my pencil is now at the top. That's because I actually flipped the piece upside-down. That way, I could paint around all of the buildings (and especially the lights) without having to worry about the paint drying (which happens REALLY fast here in AZ) and leaving strange looking marks. It's also easier to add more blue towards the bottom (actually the top) so that the sky gets darker as it gets farther away from the lights, etc.

I'm not too worried about all the brush strokes you can see at this point, since I'll be adding many more layers before I'm through.

Completely unrelated thought:

Anyone looking for a quick laugh should check out Zach Braff's blog, http://www.zachbraff.com/. Back in the pre-kids days when we could actually sit down and watch a primetime TV show (and yes, I do know there's a little thing called tivo now), my wife and I loved the show Scrubs. It is goofy, yes, but also incredibly well written and innovative, and just a whole lot of fun. And I've liked just about every other thing he's been a part of. Anyways, his blog is about the same, a well written and funny stream of consciousness that lets us into his world in an honest and hilarious way.

Or, maybe it's just because we're both in our thirties and HUGE celebrities that I feel a connection (actually, I'm not even a celebrity in my own house.)

Either way, check it out.

No comments: