Thursday, January 31, 2008

Night Scene - Step 8



Step 8

I've pretty much finished up the water here, and I'm pretty satisfied with how it's looking. The values and colors are working, so I will probably only need a few adjustments as I wrap things up.

As you can see, I've also added a couple more washes to the sky. The first one was basically a warm, dark mixture of Burnt Siena and Alizarin to smooth out some of the brush strokes and get rid of some of the Ultramarine Blue (too purple). The second wash was basically the same except this time, with the painting upside-down, I added a black mixture (Pthalo Green and Alizarin Crimson) that got heavier as I moved down towards the bottom.

At this stage in a painting, I spend as much time, if not more, just looking and analyzing as I do actually painting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really appreciate the step-by-step demonstration of your painting. It's hard to find one that focuses on a night scenery. I'd like to know (if it's ok with you) what color of paint you used for the trees and the shadow of the bridge. Also what paint did you use for the lights and did you have to use masking fluid? Thanks again.